Sunday, July 29, 2012

Catching Up - Part I

I've had a very busy summer - I really wouldn't have it any other way...after all, idle hands are the devil's workshop, right? It does seem that nearly every blog post of late begins with "busy" somewhere in the first two sentences. I'm so sorry if I sound like a broken record, but seriously - I'm kinda, sorta starting to feel a little in-over-my-head here!  However, help is on the way! My 1 year old and 2 year old begin preschool in exactly 29 days - I'm totally counting down to this monumental occasion. Yes, I know it's a bit strange to send the little guys to daycare while I homeschool the older two, but I need some help here.  In addition, I have a super, duper helper lined up to begin working for me September 1 and I can't wait!  One more month and I will feel like a new woman.
Anyway, back to the summer fun....
The Music Man and I reached a milestone - 15 years of marriage - over the summer and took the opportunity to get away from the normal hectic pace of life with four kids. We enjoyed a nice long stay at The Homestead, located in one of our favorite places on earth: Glen Arbor, Michigan. If you ever have the chance to go, I highly recommend this location. The area, climate, nature and local atmosphere are amazing. We were exceptionally fortunate to find that some good friends were also staying in the same resort at the same time - this really put the "cherry on top" of our visit. Who doesn't love to spend time with great people - eating, laughing and enjoying good wine. It was the perfect trip. Since sitting still has never been our thing, we spent our days kayaking, hiking, or swimming and our evenings relaxing or walking on the beach. Here are a few of my favorite pictures from the adventure:






I especially enjoyed sitting on the beach one evening and capturing the sunset - clicking a picture every ten minutes until the sun disappeared behind one of the Manitou Islands...so quiet, so relaxing, possibly the best moment of the entire vacation...