Sunday, January 23, 2011

Souper Simple


Can I tell you my favorite thing about this post? It isn't the simplicity of ingredients or the fact that the warming nature of soup is appealing during times such as these when I'm so cold I can hardly feel my nose or toes (okay, I'll admit it's my continued use of flip-flops in 40 degree weather that prohibits me from feeling my toes). Anyway, none of these things matter as I am simply thrilled that the above photo came straight from my camera...unedited. UNEDITED! Those of you who blog or simply enjoy playing around with photography will understand how rare it is to shoot the perfect photo on the first try. Especially when capturing food. Nearly all of my photo's get a little editing, from color balance to contrast adjustment or if nothing else, a little crop around the corners. But not this photo...ah, such a small thing to make my day complete. Now, for the truly important part - the recipe...

Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 tsp. olive oil
1 medium yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium jalapeno, finely diced
1/2 green pepper, finely diced
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 1/2 cup frozen corn
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
4 cans chicken broth
2 (14oz) cans petite diced tomatoes
2 (8oz) cans tomato sauce

Heat olive oil in the bottom of a heavy pot. Add onion, garlic, jalapeno and green pepper, sauteing over medium-high heat until vegetables become tender. Add the remaining ingredients...yes, put the chicken breasts in whole. Bring to a simmer and after about 15 minutes, remove the chicken breasts and shred with a fork (or use two forks, the chicken will be hot!). Return shredded chicken to the pot and simmer for 30-45 minutes. Serve topped with crushed tortilla chips and shredded monterey jack cheese.