Tuesday, December 11, 2012

If You Haven't Got Your Health...

If you've ever watched the movie, "The Princess Bride" (and really, who hasn't?) then you most likely remember the scene near the end where the tortuous doctor is working to heal the hero before continuing agonize him. The doctor says to Wesley, "If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything". Truer words have never been spoken. I manage my health really well...when I'm pregnant. And as most of you know, I have not been pregnant for almost two years now and that means that I have been putting my own health on the back burner, taking for granted my natural level of high-energy and tapping that well so frequently that eventually it nearly drained. Oops. A few weeks ago, after realizing that I had struggled with one virus or another for a steady three months, I decided it was time to reinstate an old habit. Vitamins and smoothies. The Music Man and I have been avid believers in Shaklee vitamins for 16+ years.  While I took them religiously during the first few years of our marriage, I have had a difficult time of late remembering to take them. Throw in my recent pregnancies - popping out two more children in two years - and add to all of this the fact that these two toddlers began pre-school this year and encountered a whole new set of germs which they promptly brought home to share and, well....hence the 3-month journey through sick-ville. Drastic times call for drastic measures and it was time to reinstate supplements and vitamin packed beverages. The below recipe for my breakfast smoothie is packed with vitamins, fiber, protein and naturally sweetened with agave nectar. It's my new fave. Yes, it's green and looks gross, but it's so good for you and tastes great, I promise!


I start by layering frozen fruit (pictured are peaches, pineapple and strawberry, but I most often use straight strawberries as the frozen fruit) followed by 3 cups of spinach, 1/2 cup greek yogurt, a whole banana and a hefty squirt of agave nectar - about 2-3 Tbs. Add a little liquid to your smoothie to get it going, I usually use about 1/4 - 1/2 cup orange juice or water.

 
Puree until smooth - the above portions make enough to fill my 32 oz. tumbler with lid and straw which I tote around with me all morning, slurping down the deliciousness.

 
The second factor in my nutritional overhaul is the vitamins. They make a huge difference in my day and energy level. They truly are my secret weapon. My husband and I have been reps for Shaklee vitamins for over 10 years as they are the only supplements we use for our family. (If you are interested in learning more about their products or how to order wholesale, you can email me at: goddessofeats@gmail.com) I am particularly fond of the vita-strips which come in pre-portioned strips that I tear off daily. You can see below just how many vitamins are included in each daily strip. Shaklee guarantees that you will feel better within 30 days or your money back. I began to feel better and restore my energy after just one week. My day often does not go as planned, but these vitamins (and my morning coffee) are a consistent must-have. I can't say enough great things about them. 
 
 
May you and yours enjoy your brightest, healthiest Holiday Season this year and always!