Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Black Eyed Pea Salad



Those of you north of the Mason-Dixon and east of the Mississippi (a.k.a. God's Country) may not be familiar with our fiber filled southern commodity: black eyed peas. Typically reserved for a southern New Year's meal, the black eyed pea is served up alongside cornbread for good luck. It's both low-fat and filling and lately I've seen it popping up in unusual places such as this cold salad. I tasted something similar at an event a few months back and have been wanting to replicate it ever since. Not only is it yummy, but look how colorful it is as well! I love the above picture and I have to say - it is completely unedited save for the addition of my little "goddess of eats" label in the corner. My what a great lens can do - I used the Canon 24-105mm lens here and with great lighting - wowza.

I cooked the black eyed peas myself, but I'm sure you could easily substitute the canned variety, just rinse and drain well. For best flavor, let all of the combined ingredients marinate together in the refrigerator over night. Enjoy!

Black Eyed Pea Salad
 
6 cups cooked and drained black eyed peas
4 Roma tomatoes, diced
1 red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
3-4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup rice wine or red wine vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
 
Combine peas, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, scallions, garlic clove and jalapeno. Set aside. Whisk together vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Pour oil and vinegar mixture over black eyed pea combination and toss together. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight for best flavor.