Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Caprese Chicken


I love a good red sauce. I wish I could share  my favorite red sauce recipe here, but mine is in "the vault" - the vault being a fictitious location deep within the recesses of my mind, where I tuck away methods that have never been written down. Within the vault I salt away a few of my most cherished formulas - I hope I don't end up with Alzheimer's. Anyway, for this Caprese Chicken you will have to, unfortunately....get your own red sauce. Such is life.  Red sauce aside, this is the simplest, easiest, most convenient go-to recipe for flavor and speed. We're having it again today. It meets all South Beach diet standards and pleases everyone around my crazy kitchen table. Or at least, they're all smart enough to clean their plates without complaint. Either way, I've trained them well.

Now...for the chicken.

Butterfly a chicken breast and lay open to season:


Generously sprinkle with garlic salt, pepper and chopped basil (fresh or dried, but fresh will be yummier):


Add a slice of mozzerella cheese, again fresh or packaged will work, but please not pre-shredded, that stuff is...well, gross:


Fold the chicken breast over the cheese and place in a baking dish. Season the outside of the chicken the same as the inside - garlic salt, pepper, basil:


Top the seasoned chicken with your red sauce. Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees, for 20 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the center, removing foil after 15 minutes and baking uncoverd for the remaining 5 minutes.


Enjoy!