Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Calm After the Storm


Whew. My poor blog has gone through a famine. I have cooked and photographed and have recipes to share, but they have yet to make their way to the internet.  Even "Photo Friday", a fairly simple task to execute, has suffered. I've been in a storm lately. A storm of activity. Storms come in a variety of strength and length - can be good and sometimes bad. There are sit-by-the-window-with-a-book-and-cup-of-tea storms. Those are awesome. Then there are light-the-candles-cause-the-power-is-gone storms. While those can be fun for a short time, we all prefer air conditioning to sweat, yes? My storm of activity has covered both peaks - really awesome and really trying. The spring storm of wedding season hit. I love my brides. They are beautiful and full of wedding bliss. They keep my schedule full and creating their cake brings me joy. Add to this our recent decision to incorporate, launch a cheesecake line, trademark a product, and shop for storefront space in the Houston area and you can say the business plate is full indeed. Atop this my kiddo's are preparing for the usual spring recitals, vocal performances, and piano contests filling their already demanding work load to the brim. So...when the storm of activity was hit with a true storm - the kind that stops a gal right in her tracks - we found out just how fast we could topple from high speed to screeching halt. We were down. Hit hard by the flu, the stomach flu, and some sort of sore throat from you-know-where. We are very holistic around here, we pay close attention to nutrition and vitamins and honestly, we are seldom ill. So rarely that I feel like a complete imbecile when my little ones aren't feeling well because I have no clue what to do. I don't know what dose of Tylenol to give them - we don't use it. Alternate Motrin with Tylenol - why didn't I think of that? Pedialyte? Oh yeah, I've heard of that! Where do you find it? My husband alone avoided the detainment afforded us by the flu. It doesn't seem fair...save the fact that he did take very good care of us, nursing us back to stability with chicken broth and Gatorade - I can only imagine the frightful shape we would have been in had the six of us been knocked down in our entirety.  We made it over that hump and we'll make it over many more I'm sure, always thankful for God's watchful care over us. I could not be more thankful for the sweet family He has charged to my care. Right now, we are simply enjoying the calm after the dreadful storm and settling back in to our normal crazy. As George Herbert once said, "Storms make the oak grow deeper roots". So buckle up. New recipes are dropping to the blog this week.

"For after all, the best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain."
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow