Monday, March 5, 2012

At Last...My Love Has Come Along

I fell off the wagon. I strayed from my healthy eating and calorie counting and fell smack into the slough of deliciousness...it was sinful. I need an extra 1 1/2 hour zumba class to help me repent. Given the chance...well, I'd do it again...sooner rather than later.

For the past 15 years I've been hunting for a cookie. Not just any cookie. The. Perfect. Cookie. Not the way-too-soft kind you find with the recipe on a bag of chocolate chips. Not the too-much-oatmeal-to-ever-leave-the-cookie-moist kind either. Step away from the knock-off recipe that turns out to be rock hard disappointment. I need a yummy balance of crunchy at the edges and moist in the center, but not too much of either facet. I traveled far and wide (in my mind) on this hunt for the perfect cookie. And at last...my love has come along. Bake some soon and forget making them as 2-inch wide petite things - we bake them biiiggg and watch them spread to a good 4-inch wide, grown-up cookie. 'Cause around here we go big or go home.

Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie

4 sticks (1 lb.) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbs. Vanilla extract
4 eggs
3/4 cup pureed oats
4 1/2 cup flour
1 Tbs. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. salt
4 1/2 cups chocolate chips (we used bittersweet chocolate, but semi-sweet will work just as well)
3 cups coarsely chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together oat puree, flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, set aside. In the bowl of a large mixer, cream together butter, sugars, and vanilla until well combined. Add the eggs and mix until smooth. Stire the dry mixture into the wet mixture and blend well. Add the chocolate chips and the nuts to the dough and mix by hand until well incorporated. Spoon onto an ungreasedcooke sheet lined with parchment or a silpat baking mat. Place the scoops about 2 inches apart - you don't need to press the dough flat. Bake for 14-16 minutes (I find 16 is just perfect in my oven) until they are light brown on the edges, but still soft in the middle. Store cooled cookies in a sealed container. Dough can be chilled overnight before baking or store dough in an airtight container for 3-4 days for fresh cookies anytime. Makes approximately 5-6 dozen cookies.

xox,
A