Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Savory Salmon


Okay, first I have to say that I am really proud of this photo! No, I am no Helene Dujardin, but I totally aspire to be and have been working my way through her book, "Plate to Pixel"...well, actually, I've only worked my way through the first chapter, but I'm pretty sure I'll make it through the book before 2012 is over. Yes, I set the bar high. *sigh* I really love that the focal point is right where the salmon meets the topping and you can see the mustard-y, goodness in the mayo coating. Oh my. So delicious, savory and HEALTHY! I'm proud to say that I've lost one dress size and counting calories + Zumba + running (okay, jogging) has been my aide. Plan your meals and stick with 'em ladies!! I've been casually trying (we all know that doesn't work) for an unseemly amount of time to lose weight, but not with steadfast determination and had almost given up.  Having lost a little (and by no means enough) I am encouraged to keep on keepin' on!


Lemon Dijon Salmon

1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs (about 3 slices of bread)
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp. dried orgeno
1/2 cup low-fat mayo (or fat-free...or full fat, hey, it's your waistline)
4 tsp. dijon mustard
6-8 (5oz) salmon fillets
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a shallow baking pan with nonstick spray. In the bowl of a food processor, place bread slices torn into chunks and pulse until fine. (Can substitute Panko bread crumbs in place of fresh bread crumbs). In a bowl, stir together bread crumbs, lemon zest and oregeno. In a separarte bowl, stir together mayo, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Place your salmon in your baking dish, brush with mayo mixture and top evenly with bread crumb mixture. Spray topping with nonstick olive oil spray or drizzle with olive oil (this will help brown the toping). Bake until topping is golden and fish is opaque in the center - about 10-15 minutes. Enjoy!


xox,

A