Friday, December 23, 2011

No Skinny Genes Were Harmed in the Creation of this Post


...because clearly I was not handed skinny genes (or jeans) in the creation of my persona. No worries there. These lemon blossoms go down easy - EASY I tell you - and before you I know it, I've polished off a half-dozen and find myself licking the icing spoon. Holy Moses. Someone save me from myself. I'm really not to blame for my waning self control. I did not come to know these lemon blossoms of my own volition. I first made the acquaintance of this charming recipe at the hand of my equally charming oldest child when he solicited the formula from a sweet friend at church. I believe she found the original recipe from Paula Deen, but as these things sometimes go, ingredients are tweaked and quantities adjusted and voila - a whole new recipe is born. Much like the childhood game of gossip where the end result is nothing like the original, recipes often take twists and turns until they reach a new identity all their own. I'm not sure these blossoms have evolved to that extent just yet, but I'm happy to share this version of them with you in hopes that you and your hips lips find equal satisfaction from their goodness. 


Lemon Blossoms

1 package yellow cake mix
3 1/2 oz. package instant lemon pudding mix
4 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil

Icing:
4 cups confectioners sugar
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 lemon, zested
3 Tbs. vegetable oil
3 Tbs. water

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray miniature muffin tins with vegetable oil cooking spray. Combine the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs and oil in an electric mixer and blend well until smooth. Scoop a small amount of batter into each tin, filling about half way. Bake for 12 minutes. Turn out onto a tea towel.

To make glaze, sift the sugar into a mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice, zest, oil and water. Mix well until smooth. 

With your fingers, dip the cupcakes into the glaze while they are still warm, covering as much of the cake as possible. Turn them upright and place on wire racks with waxed paper underneath to catch any drips. Let the glaze set thoroughly, about 1 hour, before storing in airtight containers.