Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Groovy Kind of Love


I've hit a record low. I thought I was nearly there when I found myself drooling over a piece of cheesecake thinking, "Jesus loves me this I know, for the cheesecake told me so", but alas...that was merely the tip of the iceberg. I hit rock bottom last night when I found this souffle on my plate, staring back at me. I'm not sure why song lyrics come to mind when I'm salivating over my dessert, perhaps because I'm married to a musician. At any rate, this lovely bit of goodness had me humming, "Baby, I need your lovin'" and I became painfully aware that if there were such a thing as dessert rehab I would need to check myself in immediately. In the meantime, I'll carry on as usual with my shameful love affair, humming familiar tunes summoned by my rendezvous with sugar..."When I'm feeling blue, all I have to do..." well, you know.

Chocolate Souffle

3 large eggs, separated
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
5 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted
2/3 cup whole milk
2 Tbs. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
3 Tbs. sour cream
confectioners' sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Generously grease four ramkeins with softened butter. Whisk egg whites and cream of tartar with a mixer until soft peaks begin to form. Add 1/3 cup sugar and continue whisking until medium peaks form 3-4 minutes.

In the bottom of a small saucepan, combine flour and milk. Whisk in milk and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Simmer for about 2 minutes or until mixture thickens. Whisk milk into chocolate. Whisk in egg yolks and sour cream. Gently fold in egg whites.

Fill ramekins evenly with batter, place on a baking sheet and bake for about 14 minutes or until souffles rise but the centers are still mostly liquid. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve immediately.