Monday, June 15, 2009

Crab Stuffed Salmon


I must apologize for my scarcity of posts lately. I have been cooking and photographing, yet find it difficult to carve out enough time to put these great recipes into blog posts. Blame it on summer. Garden busy-ness, children home from school and afternoons chilling by the pool. I love summer! However, I have managed to find 20 minutes and armed with a fresh iced coffee by my side, I am ready to share some goodness from my week, crab stuffed salmon.

Years ago, while living in another state, I enjoyed a version of this crab stuffed salmon and have longed for more of it ever since. I love seafood and am particularly fond of salmon. The richness of the crab stuffing combined with the leanness of the salmon make a well balanced dish. I think the next time I make this I will acclimate the recipe to my current Texas location, by altering my crab stuffing to include crawfish. Yes, that would be delicious.

Brushing butter on the combination while baking, heeds a perfectly moist salmon and adds to the flavor of the crab stuffing. Serve it up with some roasted parmesan asparagus and you've got a healthy and filling dinner. Enjoy!

Crab Stuffed Salmon

3 slices white bread
2 Tbs. butter
1/2 cup white onion
2 Tbs. flour
3/4 cup cream
3/4 cup vegetable stock
3 Tbs. each of fresh chopped parsley and basil
8 oz. lump white crab meat
1 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
1 Tbs. fresh rosemary
2-3 lb. salmon fillet


Tear the bread into pieces, place in the bowl of your food processor and pulse until you achieve fine crumbs. In a skillet, over medium-high heat, melt your butter and saute onion until soft and transparent. Whisk in the flour and stir until well combined. Slowly stir in the cream and the broth. Remove from heat and fold in parsley, basil, crab meat, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Cut your salmon fillet into 4-inch sections, then cut a center out of each section to form a large "V". Stuff the crab meat mixture into the center of the salmon sections and wrap the ends of your salmon around the mixture, enclosing all of your crab stuffing. Place in baking dish sprayed with cooking spray, brush the tops with butter, generously sprinkle with fresh rosemary and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until salmon is flaky.