Monday, March 23, 2009

Yeast Rolls

If you have followed me for very long, then you know that I do not part with my recipes very often. This is a rare occurrence, so pay attention! This dough has just enough whole wheat flour without causing it to lose the great sweet roll essence. My favorite aspect about my dough is its range of use. It can be rolled out, filled with cinnamon, sugar, nuts, butter, etc and rolled into amazing cinnamon rolls - yes, absolutely AMAZING. Or, can be used for dinner rolls. You can add herbs or brush with herbed butter. This recipe makes enough for at least two uses - I usually use one half at a time. Since the dough must rise slowly in the refrigerator overnight, I typically use the first half for cinnamon rolls and save the other half for dinner rolls the next day or later in the week. The dough can be kept in the refrigerator for up to one week, but as with all things containing yeast, the sooner you use it the better! When you pinch off the portion you intend to use, give it a quick knead on a lightly floured surface, just until it has some elasticity to it.

We make our dinner rolls using three small balls of dough per aperture in a muffin pan. They look like this:


Let rise at room temperature for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until almost doubled in size:


Bake at 400 degrees, 20-25 minutes.